Health Insurance

If you plan to stay in Denmark for less than three months, you should purchase private health insurance to cover any medical treatment that you might require during your stay. The Danish Health Security Act covers foreign students staying for more than three months.

This means that once you have received your yellow Health Insurance Card, showing your name, address and personal registration number (CPR number), you will be allowed to receive free medical treatment in clinics and hospitals.

However, please note that this does not cover the costs of medical evacuation back to your home country, emergency repatriation and personal liability. For this reason, we encourage you to purchase travel insurance as well.


You are automatically covered by the Danish Health Security Act.


You should get your European Health Insurance Card from your local authority before travelling to Denmark. This card is proof that you are entitled to health insurance in your home country. Above all, it gives you access to free medical care in Denmark until you are covered by Danish Health Insurance.

To be covered by the Danish Health Security Act, you need to have received your CPR number.


As an international student from a country other than the above mentioned, you are covered by the Danish Health Insurance Scheme as soon as you receive your CPR number from the Borgerservice - the municipality’s citizens service. You must register at the Borgerservice as soon as you arrive in Denmark.

Other Insurance

It is your responsibility to insure yourself and your belongings while you are staying in Denmark as Aarhus University does not cover any losses that may occur. We highly recommend that you take out the following insurance policies either before or immediately after arriving in Denmark.

  • Third-party insurance/liability insurance (ansvarsforsikring): this insurance is a must! It insurance covers any losses you might have if you have to pay compensation to another person.
  • Accident insurance (ulykkesforsikring): this insurance covers the financial consequences of an accident.
  • Home insurance (indboforsikring): insurance of your personal belongings.

If you decide to buy insurance in Denmark, the University recommends that you contact different insurance companies to find the one that best suits your needs. The large insurance companies such as TRYG, Alm. Brand Forsikring and Top Danmark have homepages in English. 

428292 / i40