Freemover students


Before you decide to go abroad as a freemover, it is a good idea to check AU’s exchange agreements in the AU GO database to see whether you might like to go abroad under one of these schemes instead. It is often both cheaper and also easier  than having to organise everything yourself.

If you decide to study abroad as a freemover, this checklist goes over the main steps in the process:

  • Find information on the foreign university's website about academic offerings, course descriptions etc. to make sure the programme offerings match what you are looking for.
  • Check the university's application deadlines, procedures, and any language requirements.
  • Contact the foreign university and ask for application documents. You will often have to contact the foreign university's international office or 'student services', but you may have to contact an entirely different unit.
  • It is recommended that you apply to 2-3 different universities.
  • Apply for pre-approval of your study programme abroad from your board of studies at AU.
  • Fill in the application and send it to the foreign university
  • If you are eligible for a scholarship for study abroad through the Danish students' Grants and Loans Scheme, submit your application to the SU Office at AU once you have received a pre-approval of your study programme as well as a letter of admission from the foreign university.
  • Remember to check visa and insurance requirements.
  • Apply for grants and funding from private foundations.


Students who are entitled to receive financial support through the Danish students' Grants and Loans Scheme (SU) may also be eligible for a scholarship to cover tuition fees abroad (udlandsstipendie). These scholarships are not available for students who go abroad via one of AU's exchange agreements. Under the exchange agreements, no tuition fees will be charged by the host institution.

Non-Danish students may be eligible for SU but not for the scholarships for study abroad. The SU Office at AU can help you determine your eligibility.


The scholarship rates differ depending on the courses or programmes you will be doing abroad. The rates are determined under the Danish Finance Act and may therefore vary slightly from year to year. 

You can find more specific information in the catalogue of rates for university programmes. The catalogue can be found on the Ministry of Higher Education and Science website (in Danish).

The scholarship for studies abroad can be divided into a number of portions, but you can receive the scholarship for a maximum of two years (corresponding to 120 ECTS).

In most cases the scholarship covers only some of the tuition fee. You must finance the difference either with your own money, or via a loan that can be obtained through the Danish students' Grants and Loans Scheme (Udlandsstudielånet).

Scholarships and loans for studies abroad granted under  the Danish students' Grants and Loans Scheme can only be used to cover the tuition fees and not for any other expenses related to your studies abroad.

Further information 

How to apply

To apply for the scholarship, you must complete an application form, which will be considered by the SU Office at AU. The following enclosures must be submitted:

  • Pre-approval of the courses you are planning to study abroad
  • Invoice from your host university, stating the tuition fees you have to pay
  • Receipt if you have already paid the tuition fees at the time of application
  • Application form

The scholarship granted depends on the number of ECTS credits for which you have obtained a pre-approval in respect of your study period abroad. The total maximum is 120 ECTS.

Applications are considered as they are received, but please note that you cannot apply for a scholarship for study abroad through the Danish students' Grants and Loans Scheme earlier than 12 months before the start of your planned study abroad period. You must apply for a scholarship for study abroad before the end of your study abroad period at the latest.


A freemover is an AU student that organises her or his studies independently without being part of an exchange programme between AU and the host institution. A freemover will have to pay the tuition fees, and any other fees, charged by the host institution.