Working in Denmark

As an international student following a higher educational programme, you are allowed to work 37 hours per week (EU & Nordic citizens) or 20 hours a week (other foreign citizens), as well as full-time during the months of June, July and August.

Your work permit is given when you apply for your residence certificate/permit. if you are a Nordic citizen, you can work without a permit.

If you work illegally in Denmark, you risk deportation, and you and your employer risk fine or imprisonment.



If you are staying in Denmark for more than six months, you are fully liable to taxation in Denmark. This means that any income earned in Denmark is subject to taxation in Denmark. Any income earned in another country is subject to tax in that particular country. Denmark has entered into double taxation agreements with a number of countries in order to avoid tax being paid on the same income in both countries.

If you take up employment in Denmark, you need to contact the local tax authorities (SKAT) in your municipality. SKAT will issue you an electronic tax card, which your employer needs in order to calculate your taxes. The Danish tax rules are quite complicated so it is important that you talk to the local tax administration before you start work, as if you do not have an electronic tax card your employer must withhold 60% of your salary.


  • Information about salary and pension (contract of employment)
  • Your purchase agreement if you have purchased a property
  • Information about free benefits (free car or free board and lodging)
  • Credit information about interest income and expenses, foreign accounts etc.
  • Personal identification, e.g. a passport

Read more about taxation at (under Information > Information for jobseekers > Tax rules) or on the SKAT website