Prior to departure

Here you can find practical information about what is important to remember before your departure.


In Aarhus

You can sublet your home to a foreign student via the International Centre at AU. The advantage is that you can leave your furniture where it is, and that the International Centre will find a tenant for you.


Searching for accommodation information before you arrive at your host university is highly recommended. Some universities offer to arrange accommodation for foreign students, but in most cases you will have to find your own accommodation. Consult the university's website or write to their international office if you want to know more about their housing policy, or about housing conditions in the city you wish to study in. You can also take a closer look at MoveOn where you can find some useful links when searching for accommodation. 


If you are going to be staying abroad for more than six months, you must register your departure with the Danish National Registration Office (Folkeregistret). If your stay is for less than six months, and you retain use of your home in Denmark, you are not required to notify the National Registration Office.

You report a change of address online at

Important information for students from non-EU/EEA countries:
Your Danish residence permit lapses automatically if you give up your residence in Denmark and no longer have your name registered at a Danish address in the Civil Registration System (CPR).

Your Danish residence permit also lapses automatically if you stay outside of Denmark for more than 6 successive months. This applies even if you are still registered at a Danish address in the Civil Registration System (CPR).

When a permit lapses automatically, you will not receive any notification.

Please note that stays in Greenland or the Faroe Islands are also considered as time abroad.


To be able to enter Denmark again after your exchange, you need to hold a Residence card. The residence card was sent to your address by SIRI when you first arrived in Denmark. If you never received your residence card, you need to contact SIRI to obtain a card before you leave. Be aware of processing times.

If you keep your address in Denmark, you can leave Denmark for up to 6 months without losing your permit. If you give up your address in Denmark and leave, your residence permit will lapse. Your permit will also lapse, if you reside outside of Denmark for more than 6 months.

When a permit lapses automatically, it means that you will not receive any notification.

If your permit has lapsed, you no longer have the right to stay in Denmark. This means that you may not be allowed to re-enter Denmark when you return from your exchange stay.

What to do if your residence permit has lapsed


It is always a good idea to check your existing insurance policies to see if they provide cover while you are staying abroad. Even if you have taken out health insurance through your host university, you may also need insurance which covers your belongings and luggage as well as repatriation should you fall ill. A study travel insurance policy will normally cover these things. Special rules apply as regards insurance if you receive an  Erasmus scholarship.


If you want to be able to rent a car outside Scandinavia and the EU, you will need an international driving licence. Go to your municipal citizen service centre, bringing a passport photo and your driving licence. Citizen Services Aarhus


Remember to check whether you need to apply for a residence permit or visa well in advance of travelling.


Scholarships for study trips abroad are exempt from Danish tax when they are used to cover the costs of travel between Denmark and the place of study, food, minor necessities, accommodation at the place of study, tuition and course fees etc., including fees for courses in the language of the country of study.

You must notify the Danish tax authorities (SKAT) of the expenses you have incurred, so they can be deducted from the total scholarship amount in your annual tax return. Your expenses must be documented with original vouchers, and it is therefore important that you remember to keep all documentation for your expenses abroad.

AU will automatically report your Erasmus scholarship to the tax authorities as a tax-free student travel scholarship. However, please note that SKAT may demand to see documentation/receipts showing what the scholarship has been spent on. So save all receipts relating to transport, accommodation etc.

Even if you are no longer fully tax-liable in Denmark, you must still pay tax on your Danish student grant (SU) in Denmark. For further information, see For information on tax issues while abroad, contact the tax authorities in your host country.


The Danish students' Grants and Loans Scheme Office is informed about your stay abroad, when your stay is pre-approved. However, it is your responsibility to check that this is registered correctly in STADS.


Nordic region

You must take your Danish health insurance card with you and contact your new host municipality, taking along your health insurance card and your passport.


You must take a European Health Insurance Card, which you can order from your local municipality. The card is free, and it is valid for up to one year. With the EU Health Insurance Card you are entitled to the same services as the citizens in your host country. You may therefore have to pay part of the treatment yourself. Repatriation to Denmark is not covered by the card.  If you are going to England or Northern Ireland, you do not need the European Health Insurance Card. In those two countries, you just have to show your passport. In the EU you will always be covered on a par with the citizens in your host country. In countries where user fees are charged, you should therefore think about also taking out private health insurance. See the section on insurance above.


Outside Nordic countries and the EU

You must take out private travel health insurance. Some host universities require you to take out health insurance through them. This is always the case for Australian universities (the so-called OHSC), but often universities in USA and Canada as well. Please note that health insurance taken out through your host university does not cover you outside the period of study, or when travelling outside the host country. See the section on insurance.



If you receive SPS (Special Educational Support) you will still be eligible for this support when you go abroad on exchange.  Normally you will be able to receive the same amount abroad as you receive for a semester at AU. 

You can talk to a SPS supervisor, your Education Advisor or your Reading / Writing supervisor about how to bring your support with you when going on exchange.

Please find contact information for the SPS-advisors here:

Examples of support: 

  • Dyslexia / Reading/writing difficulties: You can still use your IT assistive devices and you can still order e-books at Nota. If you receive reading / writing support, you can arrange to receive the support hours on zoom during your exchange stay abroad.
  • Mental and neurological disorders: If you are receiving support from an Education Adviser you can agree with him or her to be in regular contact while you are abroad.
  • Other disabilities and diseases: Try talking to an SPS supervisor about your options for receiving support during your exchange stay abroad. 

Pre-departure meetings

Please find the PowerPoint presentation from the Pre-departure meeting that was held for students going abroad in the Autumn semester 2023: