Before you start

Welcome day and introductions days

On January  29, 2021, at 10:00 you are invited to Welcome day for all new Master's degree students in Engineering. 

You can find the programme here.

The Welcome day will be held online on Zoom.

We encourage you to participate in the introduction days as you will receive practical and relevant information.

Introduction for international students

If you are an international student, please be aware that the International Centre at Aarhus University organises a longer introduction programme for you.

Master's contract

You must have an approved Master's contract before starting your degree programme.

If you have a Bachelor's degree from another university you cannot fill in a Master's contract until you have been admitted on your degree programme as you cannot log in to the system prior to admission.  

Preparation of your Master's contract must take place under guidance. There will be time for this during the introduction day. To prepare yourself for this, read about your degree programme at

You put together a programme consisting of compulsory courses, if applicable, and electives so as to give your Master’s degree the direction and profile you want, and to make sense from a career point of view.

The Master’s contract can be amended on an ongoing basis subject to agreement with the Head of degree programme.

The degree summary in the self-service facility therefore continues to show the courses you have passed and your examination registrations.

Course registration

Signing up for courses for the first semester
External applicants can sign up for courses during introduction day.

If you have finished your Bachelor's degree at Aarhus University, you can discuss your course registration during introduction day with the Head of degree programme.

Registration for courses in general
You sign up for courses during the course registration periods (May 1-5 / November 1-5) via Here, you can also always see which courses you are signed up for.

  • Read more about course registration under 'Teaching' > 'Course registration'

Head of degree programme

For each graduate engineering degree programme, a lecturer has been appointed Head of degree programme. He or she has the academic responsibility for the degree programme.

You can contact your Head of degree programme if you need guidance about the academic content of your degree programme, your course combination, options for study periods abroad, etc.

Find your Head of degree programme under 'Contact and Study Service ST'

Books and lists of books

At Stakbogladen you can buy books find lists of books for many of the courses in Civil and Architectural Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering and Biomedical Engineering.

If you are enrolled in Biotechnology and Chemical Engineering, or if your course is not on the list, you can find information on literature in the Course Catalogue. Look up the specific course.

For further information about books, please contact your Head of degree programme.

Student ID and key card

It is important that you get a personal student identity card at the very beginning af your studies at AU.

Your student identity card is your identification when you are on campus or need to document that you are enrolled at Aarhus University. The ID also functions as a keycard and gives you access to buildings outside normal hours.

Especially at exams it is important that you bring your identity card and you can also use it to get student discounts at museums, cinemas etc. 

It is only possible to get the card after you have been enrolled at AU and hence have been assigned a personal matriculation number. Enrolment of students is an ongoing process that starts after the application deadline.

Read here how to find your student registration number, how to get your student identity card, and who to contact in case of questions or problems.

Do you have any questions?

If you have any questions regaring starting your study, you can contact either your...

  • Student Counsellor (who you find under 'Student Counselling' > 'Contact Student Counselling' in the menu),
  • or your Head of Degree Programme (who you find under 'Teaching' > 'Head of Degree Programme')
Video guide: Master contract This video show you how to fill out your master contract