The LL.M (Master of Laws) is a one year higher degree, corresponding to the Danish Cand.jur degree. The degree can be taken after completing the Bachelor degree as well as after completing the Cand.jur degree.

LL.M courses are offered at many universities throughout the world.

LL.M courses typically consist of a number of subjects and are completed with a major written project. The content of LL.M courses vary from university to university. For example you can take an LL.M in EU law, Human Rights law, Competition law and so on.

Each university has its own admissions requirements. There is no coordination of the admission of students as is the case in Denmark. If you apply to one of the large better known universities they will want good grades, as law is one of the more sought after subjects. It is advisable to apply to several universities in order to be sure of getting a place.

Your preparations should start a year before you plan to start the course, as LL.M courses follow the academic year.

The application procedure differs from university to university, and you should contact your chosen universities to get application forms, or you can download them from the universities’ websites. Application deadlines also vary, and in some places there is no application deadline, as applicants are taken on a first-come-first-served basis.

Application should normally be accompanied by evidence of language skill, a print-out of your grades in English, and statements from your teachers.


Language test

Universities require that you have passed a language test in order to be accepted as an LL.M student. There are different kinds of language tests and the universities indicate which test they recognise and level must have been reached. There is often a requirement for the English IELTS test for British universities and the American TOEFL test for American universities.



The tuition fees are often between 35,000 and 120,000 kr. for a year, depending on the country and the university. Where the course to be studied is approved for credit transfer it is possible to take both your student grant and student loan with you (refer to the SU (Statens Uddannelsesstøtte) website).

In addition you can seek a Faculty bursary for your stay and it is also recommended that you should seek other forms of bursaries. See under Finances on the possibility of seeking a foreign study grant if the course qualifies for a credit transfer.