Examples of 'exceptional circumstances'

  • Athlete of elite sports
  • Pregnancy/maternity/paternity leave
  • Disabilities
  • Documented illness affecting yourself or your immediate family
  • Death in the immediate family
  • Civic duties as a lay judge or member of a jury
  • Students who are not following a normal study programme - for example as a result of previous exemptions or academic considerations, where there is no real possibility of registration for 30 ECTS.

If you apply for a leave of absence during pregnancy/maternity/paternity leave, you are not entitled to The Education Grant and Loan Scheme in Denmark, and you can not participate in teaching and exams. In order to continue to be entitled to this, you must apply for exemption regarding two things:

  • Reduction of the requirement of active enrolment (You must specify how much reduction you wish, while you are on leave)
  • Extend the maximum duration of study (You must specify how much you wish to extend your maximum duration of study. In most cases, it will be one year, as it corresponds to an ordinary maternity/paternity leave)

You must also remember to ensure that your deadline for submission for the Master's thesis will be postponed when you go on leave of absence.  

In which cases can you apply for an exemption?

It is possible to apply for an exemption from many of the rules that apply to your education. The rules have been laid down in a number of orders: The Degree Program Order, The Ministerial Orders on Admission and Enrolment, The Examination Order, etc. All orders can be found at www.retsinformation.dk. Other rules may be laid down in the academic regulations for your education - and those you can also in some cases apply for an exemption from.

Examples of situations where you can apply for an exemption:

  • If you need more than 3 examination attempts in a given exam
  • If you need an extension of the deadline for participation in/passing of the first-year exam
  • If you need extra time for the exam due to exceptional circumstances
  • If you need a reduction of the enrolment requirement
  • If you would like to cancel an exam
  • If you have regretted signing up for a course, you can apply for an exemption to choose another course. Explain why you want to change courses. A change in courses must be granted on academic grounds and must be approved by your head of program in your study contract.

Remember that an exemption always requires that you can document exceptional circumstances

Remember also that you should register for courses in relation to your current situation - i.e. you must register for 30 ECTS per semester if you have an application for an exemption that is still in process. When the application is approved, the courses you do not want can be canceled.

How do you apply?

Your application must be sent directly to your board of studies via mit.au.dk.  The application module ensures you a faster and more efficient handling of the case. Please note that your application cannot be sent until you have entered all relevant information.


You can use the following rules of thumb, when you want to write an application for an exemption:

  • Identify yourself (student registration number, name, address and mobile number).
  • Write exactly what you are applying for and what you want an exemption from. You can read about the possible exemptions on this page, or you can contact your student counselor or Student Services ST for further guidance.
  • State the reason for your application. Remember that according to the academic regulations (and the current executive order) there must be 'exceptional circumstances' (read more below), in order to treat an application for an exemption. It is not considered 'exceptional circumstances', if you are going on a holiday or if you have had a cold while studying for the exam. Exceptional circumstances can often be documented, e.g. by a doctor's note or a written confirmation from a public authority. If possible, the documentation must be enclosed with the application.
  • If you are applying for a reduction of the enrolment requirement, you must enclose a study plan describing how you expect your future studies to proceed.
  • All applications for exemptions are normally processed within 6-8 weeks (July excluded).  However, it may take longer if documentation is lacking or if an interview is required.

In certain cases, you will be asked to come in for an interview with a director of studies/administrator in connection with the processing of your inquiry.

Remember that your student counselor can help you with exemption applications. You are also welcome to contact Nat-Tech Student Services or an employee in AU Studies Administration Nat-Tech if you are in doubt about the rules and guidelines.

Exemptions regarding advanced exams

If you are applying for an exemption in a course, which will be excluded from the study programme as a result of the semester structure, please find more information under the menu option Examination -> Exam registration and reexams