Spending a period of study abroad usually entails additional costs. For example, you have to take out health insurance and travel insurance, living expenses in your host country may be higher than what you are used to, and you will have to pay travel expenses etc. It is therefore a good idea to start thinking about how you are going to finance your studies abroad in good time.

You can to some extent decide yourself how much money you want to spend. By choosing a host country close to Denmark, you can keep travel expenses down. You can also save money by going to a country where it is cheaper to live than in Denmark.

If you choose to travel to a capital or a popular city, the cost of accommodation is likely to be very high. 

On this page you can start by reading evaluations from students who have been studying abroad. For example, you can see what their expenses have been for food, books and accommodation, as well as other useful information. You can also read evaluations from former exchange students in MoveOn.

Read more about the various sources of funding:


Erasmus and Nordplus/Nordlys grants

When you go on an exchange through either Erasmus and Nordplus/Nordlys, you are automatically considered for a monthly grant. The size of the grants varies, depending on the amount of funding available in the year in which you are travelling. In MoveOn, where you can find a description of all of AU's exchange agreements, you can see whether the various agreements fall under the Erasmus or Nordplus/Nordlys programmes.

Erasmus funding is also available for work placements in Europe.  

Faculty fellowships

As a student at AU, you can apply for a faculty scholarship. Faculty scholarships are not normally given to students under the Erasmus and Nordplus programmes.

Scholarships for studies abroad

If you travel on your own initiative, you can apply for a scholarship for studies abroad to cover the tuition fees you have to pay, in whole or in part.

Grants for specific countries

In connection with studies in the USA, you can apply to Fulbright Denmark for guidance and funding.

AU is sometimes notified of grants and scholarships which students can apply for. These are posted on our Facebook page. You must send your application directly to the grant giver.

Tax on scholarships and grants

Scholarships and grants awarded through AU to students for studies or work placements abroad are disbursed without any tax being withheld. They are reported by AU's payroll office to the municipality as B-income.

It is important that you retain documentation of all major expenses during your stay abroad so as to be able to prove to the Danish tax authorities (SKAT) that your scholarship or grant has actually been spent during your period of study abroad.


You can take your Danish student grant (SU) with you abroad, regardless of whether you will be studying under one of AU's exchange agreements or venturing out on your own initiative. Please note:

  • Your period of study abroad must equate to full credit per semester. You must also apply for and obtain a preliminary approval in order to take your SU with you abroad.
  • You must be able to document your study activities

For further information about student grants (SU) abroad, please contact the Danish Agency for Higher Education or AU's Danish Students’ Grants and Loans Scheme Office.

Useful links