Human Security

About fieldwork and work placement

As part of the Master’s programme in Human Security you can choose to do a fieldwork or work placement during the 3rd semester (30 ECTS). The fieldwork or work placement is required to have a minimum duration of 3 months.

A work placement takes place in collaboration with an institution, organisation or business; or in connection with a university research programme.

The student’s task during the placement must include significant elements of data collection, analysis and reporting.

The placement will generally be linked to specific research or development programmes that are planned, carried out and/or assessed in partnership with the host institution, organisation or business.

The host institution must ensure that students receive academically qualified supervision during the placement.

A field/work placement contract is agreed between the student and the host institution.

The fieldwork or work placement is to be agreed with and approved by an academic supervisor who must sign the field/work placement contract.

About academic supervision

You must have an academic supervisor, and you will be appointed one at the beginning of 2nd semester; i.e. a lecturer from the Department of Anthropology or one of the affiliated lecturers from the Department of Bioscience and DCA (Danish Centre for Food and Agriculture). Notice that your supervisor needs to be an Assistant/Associate Professor or Professor.

Mentor meeting: Getting a supervisor

During 1st semester all students will be informed about potential supervisors, and you will be invited for a mentor meeting (15-20 minutes) with the programme coordinator of Human Security, Christian B. N. Gade.

The purpose of the mentor meeting is to discuss your ideas for field/work placement and possible wishes for a preferred supervisor.  

After the mentor meeting the programme coordinator will appoint a supervisor for each student – taking individual project ideas and the availability of particular supervisor(s) into consideration.

This procedure of supervisor distribution means that you do not have to apply for your own academic supervisor, and that the distribution of supervisors will be done in collaboration with other responsible (track) coordinators at the Department of Anthropology (who also distribute supervisors for Master’s students in Anthropology).

Please notice: Actual supervision for your 3rd semester work placement or fieldwork will only start during the beginning of 2nd semester (i.e. early February).

Travel grant

You can apply for AU’s Travel Grants even before you have found a work placement or fieldwork topic abroad. Usually, the deadline is 1st March. The application form with instructions (e.g. regarding pre-approval) is available here:

FAQ –work placement or fieldwork

What is the difference between work placement and fieldwork?

While being obligated by certain tasks and obligations towards the host institution, organisation or business during a work placement - fieldwork may be a strictly independent (research) project defined by you and your supervisor. If circumstances allow fieldwork alongside or as part of your work placement this can also be approved. Whatever constellation you end up with, collecting your own research material/data is highly recommended in regards to strengthening the methodological and analytical framework in your final thesis work.

How do I get a work placement?

You have to search for and find one yourself. Maybe you have some contacts you can pursue or maybe you know of an (environmental or development) organisation or another setting where you would like to work. You can find information on different work placement opportunities (internships) by visiting AU Job and Project Bank.

Do I need to have an academic supervisor?

Yes. The supervisor must sign the field/ work placement contract, and he/she will also have to assess your project report.

Can I take more than one work placement or fieldwork?

No, you are only allowed to take one work placement equivalent to 30 ECTS.

How do I hand in my field/work placement contract?

When you have an approved agreement with a host institution you need to fill in the field/work placement contract. The signed contract must be handed in to the secretary at Moesgaard, Anne-Mette Christiensen who archives all contracts at the Department of Anthropology.

What if I fail to obtain a work placement or get a fieldwork in place?

If it should happen that you fail to obtain an internship or fieldwork agreement, you must apply no later than 15 August for registration to alternative course of teaching stipulated in your academic regulations for the semester in question (i.e. 3rd semester). Please note that the range of teaching on offer may be limited to courses, which have vacancies. 

What should the project report contain?

The exam form is to hand in a written assignment, i.e. a project report, with a length of 15-25 pages. You can find more relevant information in the Academic Regulations; cf. fieldwork/work placement.

Where and when should my project report be handed in?

The project report should be submitted in the Digital Exams system.

The project report has to be handed in according to the date, which will be announced in the Exam timetable.

What if I have more questions?

If you have further questions you may contact Study Centre Arts or a student counsellor at MoCa (Moesgaard Campus).

432130 / i40