Have you experienced offensive behaviour or harassment?

At AU, we are committed to treating each other with decency and respect. Yet, despite this, students occasionally find themselves subjected to offensive behaviour or harassment. If this has happened to you, the university encourages you to seek advice and support. 

Here are three things you should know:

What type of offensive behaviour or harassment did I experience? 

  • You shouldn’t worry about definitions. You have the opportunity to speak to a student counsellor about your case in confidence and without obligation – regardless of what you experienced or whether you’re unsure it counts as offensive behaviour or harassment.

Where can I get help?

  • The university encourages you to contact your local Student Counsellors’ Office in the first instance. Here you can discuss your case in confidence with an experienced counsellor, and together you can decide on the best way forward. You can also contact the Student Council’s Legal Aid Service, the student telephone helpline or the university chaplain (read more about these services below).

What happens if I take my case to the university?

  • This is mainly up to you. All cases reported to student counsellors are confidential, and some cases can be resolved between the student and the student counsellor. But, for other cases, it might be more appropriate to involve the director of studies, so that the case can be taken further. Read more about the student counsellors and their duty of confidentiality.
  • Remember that you have the option to take a companion into all your meetings. This could be a friend or an employee from the Student Council’s Legal Aid Service.