Special Educational Support

Special Educational Support

Support for students with psychological disorders, dyslexia, dyscalculia, physical disabilities, long-term ailments or the like.

The purpose of special educational support, is to help students face challenges in their student life. 

You can read more about the various forms of support on this site. If you want to apply for special educational support you must start by booking an appointment with one of our counsellors.

Remember, that you are always welcome to contact us or book an appointment - even if you are not sure that special educational support is something for you. 

Conditions for receiving special educational support

Special educational support is for students who: 

  • Have a documented diagnosis
  • Are enrolled in an education approved for SU
  • Are study active

Please notice that if you are a non-EU citizen you must be eligible for recieving SU. In order to get the support as a non-EU citizen you must therefore apply for equal right status according to either danish rules or EU law. Please contact the SU office if you have any questions about applying for equal right status.

Important information for exchange students

In Denmark, services to university students with disabilities is provided by a national special educational support program. Unfortunately, exchange students are not covered by this program.

This means that you must pay for any special support services that you may need. Erasmus+, Nordplus, Nordlys or other local or national programmes in your home country may be able to offer financial assistance. Please see suggested costs for some of these services here. 

The Special Educational Support (SPS) Unit at AU can help you identify relevant support services and facilitate contact to support service providers. For specific information, please write to SPS

Examples of special support services:

  • Counselling and academic mentoring for students with cognitive, social or personal study-related difficulties
  • Special reading and writing guidance for students with dyslexia
  • Note-taking services
  • Mobility service for visually impaired students
  • Practical assistance in connection with academic activities

We recommend that students with special needs bring all assistive hardware and software required for daily tasks.

When can you get special educational support?

As a student you can get support if you have: 

  • Dyslexia
  • A psychological disorder
  • A neurological disorder
  • A chronic or serious illness

You can also have a

  • Mobility impairment
  • Hearing impairment


  • Be blind/have weak vision.