Pre-approval and credit transfer

If you are a full-time student it is possible to have exams taken at other institutions transferred and inserted into your study programme. However, the courses must be academically evaluated and approved by The Study Committee. The courses can be inserted either as electives or, in case of complete equivalence, as compulsory courses. If you are a bachelor student the courses must be bachelor courses, and if you are a master student the courses must be master courses. You will only get a credit transfer if the Study Committee is completely convinced about level and content in the exams that you have taken at other universities. Therefore, it is important that you follow the guidelines below when applying for credit transfer.

How to apply for pre-approval/credit transfer

If you want to replace a course in your study programme with a course from another programme, you can either apply for a pre-approval (before you leave) or transfer (after you have completed the course). It is the Board of Studies that determines whether you can be granted a pre-approval or credit transfer.

If you wish to apply for pre-approval for/credit from a course at another Danish institution or pre-approval for/credit from a course at a foreign university, please use the application form at

If you wish to apply for pre-approval for/credit from a different study programme at Aarhus University you need to use the application form ‘Courses – at AU’.

If you wish to apply for pre-approval for/credit from a Study Abroad, please look under 'Study Abroad'.

The pre-approval is not a guarantee for admission to the course(-s) you have applied for pre-approval for and you must contact the relevant institution to apply for admission to the subject/subjects.

If you want a course as supplement to your programme, you must apply as a fee paying single subject student.

Preliminary approval/credit for courses within AU: When the credit module is completed and passed, the course will automatically be transferred to your degree programme.    

Preliminary approval/credit for courses outside AU: When you have completed and passed your pre-approved course(s) you must apply for the credits at where you attach your preliminary approval and a scan of the official diploma/exam certificate. The credit will then be added to your study programme and will appear in the Student Self-service system (STADS).

What information do I need to apply?

You can only apply for pre-approval or credit transfer when you have collected all relevant information stated below.

Pre-approval (before taking a course at another university ):

• Name of the course(-), programme and institution

• Detailed course descriptions in Danish or English where level (undergraduate or graduate ) and grading scale is shown. The course description must as a minimum include the following:

  • Syllabus; the outline of the course – which topics have been covered etc.
  • Bibliography i.e. the literature used in the course
  • Number of lectures per week/semester
  • Exam form
  • ECTS credits

• If the credits for the course is not specified in ECTS, you must convert to this. For example: If another university demands that their students take 30 credits in two semesters in order to follow the prescribed full-time study, a yearly full-time study will be 30 credits. A yearly full-time study at AU constitutes 60 ECTS. This means that one credit at the other university corresponds to 2 ECTS.

• Which courses from your study programme the courses is to replace

Credit (transfer of passed courses from other universities):

• Certified transcript of completed courses, i.e. a transcript with stamp and signature of the institution where the courses have been passed.

• For courses taken at foreign institutions the application must be accompanied by an official description of the grading scale used.

• An English course title must be provided for all the courses you are applying to have transferred.

• Pre-approval of the courses you are applying to have transferred, or course description in Danish or English of the courses that you apply to have transferred (including course level , ECTS , etc.).

• Which courses the courses in question are to replace on your own study programme.

Grade and credit transfer

When you apply for credit transfer for a course in your study programme, the course for which you are seeking credit must be completed with a mark according to the 12-point grading scale at the institution in question. However, this does not apply to courses that are completed with pass/fail assessment or courses completed at foreign institutions.

If the course you are applying for a credit transfer for is completed with a mark according to the 12-point scale, the grade from this course will be inserted into your study programme. Hence, grade will be included in your overall average.

Marks obtained at foreign institutions cannot be converted to a corresponding Danish mark and will therefore not be included in your overall grade average. If the course has been completed at a foreign institution, your examination result will be transferred as “Pass.”

Transfer of credits can only be done in multiples of 5 ECTS. 

In other words, if you pass:

  • 0 - 4.9 ECTS, you will have 0 ECTS incorporated,
  • 5 - 9.9 ECTS, you will have 5 ECTS incorporated,
  • 10 - 14.9 ECTS, you will have 10 ECTS incorporated,
  • 15 - 19.9 ECTS, you will have 15 ECTS incorporated,
  • 20 - 24.9 ECTS, you will have 20 ECTS incorporated,
  • 25 - 29.9 ECTS, you will have 25 ECTS incorporated,
  • 30 ECTS, you will have 30 ECTS incorporated.

ECTS which are not incorporated will NOT be lost, but you can keep them as extra
ECTS should you need them at a later time. Your transcript from your exchange university
will verify that you have obtained the credits.

For further information please see letter regarding transfer of credits.

When can you expect a reply to your application for advance approval or credit transfer?

In general, the processing time for applications for advance approval or credit transfer is 6-8 weeks.

If the course descriptions you attach or the application itself is inadequate, the processing time may increase.

The summer period
During the summer period, you must expect a longer processing time seeing as the teachers and students who conduct the academic evaluations are typically on holiday in July.

Why is the processing time 6-8 weeks?

When you have submitted your application for advance approval or credit transfer, your student affairs officer will go through the attached course descriptions and assess whether they contain the necessary information. Subsequently, the course descriptions are sent to the teachers and students who will perform the academic evaluation. Upon receiving the academic evaluation from the teachers and students, the student affairs officer will summarise and prepare a response which you will receive in your e-Boks.    

What can you do to further this process?

Please submit your application well in advance of any deadlines.

Please familiarise yourself with the requirements for course descriptions and documentation here at the study portal.

Please check your AU mail on a regular basis. The studies administration will contact you via email in case we need additional documentation or information.

Please check your e-Boks. We will send you the decision on this platform.

Are you late?

The Student Counsellors’ Office advises you to apply even though there is little time left before the deadline when you need the advance approval/credit transfer.

It is not always possible to process an application on time if you submit it shortly before a deadline. However, your student affairs officer as well as the teachers and students who perform the academic evaluation will generally prioritise urgent applications and try to process your application so that you may receive a reply before the deadline in question.

If you are in doubt about what to do in case you do not receive a reply to your application before a given deadline, please contact the Student Counsellors’ Office. It is not possible for the Student Counsellors’ Office to speed up the processing of your application, but they can advise you on your options in case you do not receive a reply before the deadline.