Other study abroad possibilities

Get an international experience and spice up your CV  

Where do you want to go?

There are other ways to study abroad than enrolling on a semester-long exchange programme. For example, you could attend an international summer school or take an internship programme. Read more about these different options below – but remember to check whether they fit into your study plan and comply with your academic regulations. Contact your student counsellor to discuss the options in more detail.


North2north – scholarships for students interested in the Arctic

Aarhus University is a member of the UArctic network, which consists of universities and other institutions engaged in education and research in and about the North. UArctic’s mobility programme north2north now offers scholarships for exchange programmes and field courses within Arctic-related topics. Read more about UArctic and north2north scholarships.

AU employees are also able to apply for mobility grants so that they can attend conferences and similar events at north2north partner institutions. Read more about staff mobility grants

Where can I go?

Canada, Finland, the Faroe Islands, Greenland, Iceland, Norway, Russia, Sweden and the USA are all part of the north2north mobility programme. See a list of north2north partner universities. In order to get a scholarship for your exchange, you need to be affiliated with a north2north partner university.

Depending on the university you apply to, you may be able to get a tuition fee waiver. If not, you can apply for a Danish state study abroad scholarship to cover your tuition fees.

Scholarship amounts

North2north exchange scholarships are between EUR 1,000 and 1,500 depending on the length of the exchange (2–12 months), and it’s also possible to get a travel subsidy of between EUR 500 and 1,000 depending on whether your exchange is within or outside Europe.

Grants for shorter courses or conferences are between EUR 1,000 and 1,500 depending on the destination.

How to apply

Application deadline: 15 February for trips in the following autumn or spring semester

If you would like to apply, please send an email to Signe Helbo: signe.helbo@au.dk

You can apply for financial support for exchange programmes, field courses, summer courses and similar activities if they are affiliated with a north2north partner institution. All full-time Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD students and all members of staff at AU can apply. For more information, read the north2north guidelines on the UArctic website.

You can expect to receive a response to your application by the end of March. 

north2north contact person at AU

Internship programme

Take an internship programme at a top-100 university in Berlin this summer! 

As a student at AU, you have the opportunity to take an internship programme at Humboldt University in Berlin this summer. If we receive news of more internship programme opportunities at other universities, we will publish them here. 

Humboldt Internship Program - The new short-term program for experiential learning at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin

This program is designed for advanced Bachelor as well as Master and doctoral students from. It will allow participants to collaborate with teams in our research laboratories and institutes for three months. The short-term program offers students the opportunity to experiential learning. They are part of academic work teams, deal with challenging tasks, and explore Berlin. An innovative working environment and processes of knowledge transfer characterize the work projects.

On an ongoing basis, we arrange internships that best fit the students' schedule. The feasibility depends on the time availability of the respective project supervisor. Dates are chosen individually by the applicant (period must be 12 weeks). The availability of the chosen project in the specified time is checked by the program coordinator.  

Additional activities:

During the duration of the program, participants are offered courses and excursions on German culture and history. The participants will be able to connect to their peers through various activities, explore Berlin, and become part of the 'Humboldt community' while conducting their research projects.

Check the list of available projects here. All projects take place in Berlin, Germany. The exact location depends on the location of the department/institution implementing the respective project. Project descriptions available for download are subject to change.

Please contact the program coordinator in case you are interested in an internship position which has already been allocated.

We are continously working on the expansion of the internship opportunities towards selected university departments, research facilities, cultural institutions, and companies.

How to apply

The general application deadline for summer internship programmes at Humboldt University has expired, but it is still possible to arrange an individual internship programme at the university. You just need to find a programme that interests you and write to programme coordinator Amrei Vogel, who will check whether your desired programme can be completed within the 12-week period.

Read a list of opportunities and instructions for how to apply.

  • If you would like a credit transfer for your internship programme, you can apply for approval from your board of studies using the course description on the Humboldt University website.
  • You will receive SU during your internship programme in accordance with standard SU rules, so, if you are entitled to SU, you can also take it abroad with you. 

Questions about summer courses or internship programmes?

SDC's semester stay

SDC's semester stay in China

If you dream of studying in Beijing in China for a semester, you can explore your options for travelling abroad via the Sino-Danish Center (SDC), which is a partnership between all eight Danish universities and University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS).

Choosing a semester at one of SDC's seven master’s degree programmes, you will learn as much on a personal level as you will academically. Professors/researchers from UCAS and the Danish universities teach together in an international setting with 15 Chinese students and 15 Danish/International students in each programme. All teaching is carried out on site in the SDC Building in China, which is the basecamp for all SDC students and faculty. The language of instruction is English.

The practical support you need

SDC helps with all practicalities before going to China and provides support during the studies in China. You are guaranteed dorms on campus and there is Danish and Chinese staff that can help with issues, big or small.

The master’s degree programmes

SDC offers seven programmes within Social Science and five programmes within Natural Science. All programmes accept semester students on the first and/or second semester.

Danish and EU/EEA students who are enrolled in a master’s degree at a Danish university can join as a semester student. There are no tuition fees and you can take your SU with you.

Note that you must follow course packages equivalent to 30 ECTS. If you have any questions in regard to this, please contact SDC at admission@sdc.university. You may be able to get and exemption from the 30 ECTS. It is your responsibility to ensure that your Board of Studies at AU can approve the course package. It is important that you ensure that a semester abroad through SDC fits into your study programme, that you can get credit transfer for the courses, and that you are qualified for admission to the programme.

How to apply

You must apply directly at SDC - Semester Studies (sdc.university)

Application deadlines:

Autumn semester: 1 March

Spring semester: 15 October

Do you want to know more?

Read more and contact SDC to explore your opportunities.

Take a video tour around the campus, see the dormitories and meet other SDC students

Questions: admission@sdc.university

Blended intensive programmes (BIP)

Go on a shorter BIP exchange stay in Europe through the Erasmus+ program

You have the opportunity to apply for an Erasmus+ grant for a blended intensive program (BIP). A BIP is a shorter exchange stay that takes place partly physically at a host university in Europe and partly online from home. The physical part of a BIP lasts 5-30 days, while the online part can vary in length.

A BIP can, for example, focus on case-based or problem-based learning, where cross-national and sometimes interdisciplinary teams collaborate to tackle global challenges. These challenges may be related to the UN's Sustainable Development Goals or other major societal issues.

Below, you can read more about the application process step by step.

Step 1: Decide where you want to go

You can participate in blended intensive programs at European host universities with which your degree programme at Aarhus University already has an exchange agreement.

If you have already found a BIP, you can check in this MoveON database if there is an agreement between your degree programme at AU and the BIP host university: https://au.adv-pub.moveon4.de/bip/.

If there is no Erasmus exchange agreement between AU and the host university for the BIP you are interested in, you cannot participate in the BIP.

You can also contact your international faculty coordinators to see if there is a valid agreement. You can find their contact information in the left-hand menu under "Contact."

Step 2: Apply for admission directly to the BIP host university

Each host university and each BIP have their own admission requirements for participants in a BIP.

You must thoroughly familiarize yourself with these requirements and apply for admission to the BIP directly to the host university (or BIP coordinator). Please note that ultimately it is solely the host university's decision whether you can be admitted to the BIP.

Step 3: Apply for pre-approval from your AU study board

It is a requirement from AU that the BIP must be included in your study program (i.e., it must replace another course, such as an elective). Therefore, it is a requirement that you apply for pre-approval of the BIP from your study board.

When you apply for pre-approval, the study board gives its academic assessment of whether the BIP can be included in your degree. Pre-approval concerns the academic content of the BIP. It is your responsibility to ensure that there is no overlap between a pre-approved BIP course and other parts of your degree, including teaching, exams, and thesis.

For the BIP to become part of your degree at AU, it must be at least 5 ECTS. Therefore, you cannot get pre-approval for a BIP of 3 ECTS.

Familiarize yourself with your academic regulations

Before you choose to go on a BIP, you should familiarize youself with your academic regulations or consult a student counsellor. Do you have a course, such as an elective, in your academic regulations of 5 ECTS, which you can replace with the BIP?

There may be specific academic requirements for the combination of electives in your degree programme. These requirements must be met, whether you enroll in electives at AU or at another educational institution.

Do you need help?

You can read more about how to apply for pre-approval of a BIP here on your study portal.

If you need help or guidance for pre-approval of a BIP, you should contact your international faculty coordinators, your local student guidance, or your study board.

Step 4: Apply for an Erasmus+ grant

You are not guaranteed an Erasmus+ grant as it depends on available funds. 

Erasmus+ grants are only awarded to students for BIPs if AU is a partner in the BIP or if the host university is one of the eight Circle U. partners:

  • Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin (Germany)
  • King's College London (UK)
  • Università di Pisa (Italy)
  • Université Catholique de Louvain (Belgium)
  • Université Paris Cité (France)
  • Universitetet i Oslo (Norway)
  • University of Belgrade (Serbia)
  • Universität Wien (Austria).

Application and documentation

You can submit an Erasmus+ grant application from your BIP portal here: https://au.moveon4.de/form/662765f0132670f24f034a0a/eng

After you have submitted your grant application, you will be asked to submit additional documentation:

  • Learning agreement
  • Grant agreement
  • Certificate of attendance
  • Transcript of records
  • Participant report
  • Possible documentation for fewer opportunities top-up (grantsupplement for students with special needs)
  • Possible documentation for green travel top-up (grant supplement for students traveling environmentally friendly)

You will receive more information about these documents after you have submitted your grant application.

Step 5: Apply for credit transfer

To transfer your BIP ECTS from your host university to your study program at AU, you must apply for credit transfer. Here, you must attach your transcript of records from the host university.

Read more about credit transfer here on your study portal under the step-by-step guide.