Self-designed supplementary subjects abroad (ITTU)

Self-designed supplementary subjects abroad are referred to here using their Danish abbreviation (ITTU).
The ITTU scheme gives you the chance to take a semester abroad. Each ITTU consists of 45 ECTS, of which (at least) 30 ECTS are done abroad. 

NB: ITTU is not a possibility for students at International Business Communication, at Education Science and at Theology.

Application deadline

The deadline for applying for enrolment on a self-designed supplementary subject abroad (ITTU) is the same as for the ordinary Bachelor's supplementary subject at AU, 15 April.

The deadline applies for students on exchange agreements and students travelling as free movers.

You apply via AU's Digital Application System (DANS), where you also indicate which  Bachelor’s supplementary subject at Arts you want to include in your ITTU.

Structure of ITTU

A self-designed supplementary subject abroad (ITTU) consists of:

  • 15 ECTS at a Bachelor’s supplementary subject at Arts
  • 30 ECTS Bachelor’s courses at a university outside Denmark

Semester 5

Bachelor’s supplementary subject  at Aarhus University


Bachelor’s project


Semester 6

Courses at a university outside Denmark

  • A course combination cannot be approved if it prolongs the time it takes you to complete your degree. It is therefore a requirement that your ITTU and your Bachelor’s project can be completed in a year.  

The following rules apply to 15 ECTS at Aarhus University:

  • You must choose one of the existing Bachelor’s supplementary subjects at the Faculty of Arts.
  • The supplementary subject must not lie within your core subject and it may not involve other non-permitted combinations.
  • The supplementary subject must not contain introductory courses.
  • The supplementary subject 'Film and media' can not be combined with ITTU
  • Your choice of supplementary subject courses is binding after the deadline for application

The following rules apply to 30 ECTS courses abroad:

  • You may choose courses within or outside your core subject.
  • The courses may not overlap (in terms of their subject or content) with the courses of your core subject.
  • The courses must be at Bachelor's degree level
  • The courses may not contain introductory courses (e.g. German for foreign students in Berlin or introductory courses for foreign students).

Rules for ITTU

The rules for the organisation, application and approval of ITTUs are described in the internal rules for the Faculty of Arts for ITTUs.


  • Choosing an ITTU is binding.
  • In the event that the study abroad period cannot be carried out, you will continue on the supplementary subject at which you are doing the 15 ECTS courses.
  • You cannot apply for admission to an ITTU if you have already been granted admission to a supplementary subject.

Planning the ITTU

  1. Organise your studies abroad

    If you decide to do an ITTU, you need to find out which university you want to study at and which courses match your wishes and Aarhus University’s requirements.

    You can either travel abroad using one of Aarhus University’s exchange agreements, or arrange your own trip as a so-called “free mover”.

    If you want to use one of Aarhus University’s exchange agreements, this website shows you what to do. See the list of exchange agreements

  2. Apply for admission to ITTU incl. 15 ECTS on a BA supplementary subject at Arts

    You must apply via AU's digital application system (DANS)

    When you apply for admission to ITTU, you must also state which bachelor's option at Arts that you want to be included in your ITTU.

    We recommend that you specify several priorities.

    The application deadline is 15 April.

  3. Select and apply for pre-approval of courses on your host university

    Prior to arrival at the foreign university, you must apply for advance approval of the courses you wish to take abroad as part of your supplementary subject/ITTU.

      You can apply for advance approval via the application module, ”Advance approval of courses”. AU does not have a set deadline for applying for advance approval of courses, but the application module is open in the period September 1st to April 1st, and will be available here on this website.    

    Before you apply for advance approval you should, as a general rule, know which courses you can be admitted to in your host university. Therefore, it is an advantage to postpone applying for advance approval until you have received specific information from the host university about available courses.

After returning home

When you have passed the courses on your ITTU, you must apply for credit transfer.

You can apply using the form at

Please remember to enclose documentation of the current marking scale of the university at which you did the exams. 

Read more about credit transfer and documentation requirements.

If your results from the ITTU are registered too late, there may be consequences for grants received through the Education Grant and Loan Scheme in Denmark and your potential admission to a Master’s degree programme. You must therefore apply for credit transfer as soon as you receive the results from your host university.

Please note that Aarhus University does not automatically receive a copy of your results from host universities outside Denmark, so it is important that you get hold of a copy of the results yourself. If you do not receive the results within two months, we recommend that you contact the host university or your international coordinator.


Can I rearrange the semesters so that I go abroad on the fifth semester?

  • No, the structure of the ITTU is fixed.

I cannot see the courses offered on future semesters at the university abroad. What should I do?

  • You must apply for prior approval of the courses that are presented in their list of current courses. The courses offered often resemble each other from one year to the next. You are allowed to apply for prior approval for more than 30 ECTS, but you may only use 30 ECTS in your ITTU. If it proves impossible to do the courses you have chosen, you must apply to change your ITTU approval.

I would like to do 15 ECTS at home on a programme that is not included in the supplementary subject package. Is that possible?

  • No, you can only do the 15 ECTS on one of the supplementary subjects at the Faculty of Arts.

I am admitted to a supplementary subject with restricted admission and have been granted an unfilled place. Can I apply for an ITTU?

  • No, when you are admitted to a supplementary subject with restricted admission, the courses you take abroad must be included in your supplementary subject. You must therefore send an application for credit transfer to the board of studies at your supplementary subject.

Do the 30 ECTS abroad and the 15 ECTS from the supplementary subject package always have to be linked in terms of the subject studied?

  • No, the 30 ECTS abroad and the 15 ECTS from the supplementary subject package do not need to be linked. 

What happens if my plans to do 30 ECTS abroad come to nothing?

  • If this happens you will continue on the supplementary subject on which you have done the 15 ECTS, thereby doing your whole supplementary subject package there instead of doing an ITTU.

What happens if I fail one of the courses abroad?

  • If you can’t do a re-examination abroad, you must apply to change your ITTU approval as quickly as possible because you will have to complete your ITTU in some other way. Typically, the solution is to do another course on the supplementary subject on which you did your 15 ECTS. Or you can choose a Summer University course. 

What do I do if I have to go to a oral examination in Aarhus, that takes place after the semester start abroad?

  • If you were to have a oral examination at AU that collides with your semester abroad, you have the opportunity to apply for a specially designed exam that precedes the semester start abroad.

    The deadline for applying for this is 1 October.

    The application must be sent to study centre Arts and you must submit documentation for the semester start abroad.

Application forms