Additional exam attempts

Under normal conditions, you will be allowed three attempts to successfully complete an examination. If you fail to pass, leave an examination before completion, hand in a blank examination paper or are absent from an examination that you have registered for, this will count as an examination attempt. If you spend three examination attempts on a course without passing, you will be disenrolled from Aarhus University – unless you obtain an exemption for an additional fourth examination attempt.

If you have not passed an examination after three attempts, you may send an application to your study board requesting a fourth attempt. To obtain permission for an additional examination attempt, you must be able to document special circumstances (e.g. a medical certificate) in connection with the three first examination attempts.

There is no complete list of conditions that can be characterized as ’special circumstances’. Special circumstances may be suddenly occurred situations, such as illness or loss of a close relative just before the examination. Lack of necessary qualifications or suitability for the degree programme will not be considered a special condition.

Medical certificates serving as documentation for illness in connection with an examination should preferably be issued on the actual date(s) of the examination in question.

How to apply for an exemption for an extra examination attempt

You apply for an exemption by logging in to

  • Find "Self-service systems"
  • Click on "Submit an application to your board of studies"
  • Find "Exemption from the rules in your academic regulations" and click "Apply for exemption" and fill in the application form.    

Please notice the following requirements for your application:

• You must clearly state which rule(-s) you apply to be exempted from

• Explain what you would like to achieve if you get an exemption (e.g. another exam attempt for an exam, registration for a course after deadline etc.)

• Explain what circumstances you think that entitles you to be granted the exemption. You can attach or forward documentation.

The application for an exemption is considered by the Board of Studies that is responsible for your study programme (where you are enrolled as either undergraduate or graduate students). If you want to submit additional documentation to your application for an exemption you must send it by email to: