About teaching at Arts

You personal timetable

You can find your personal timetable at mystudies.au.dk

As a rule, the timetables at the School of Communication and Culture and the School of Culture and Society are announced at the end of December (for the spring semester) and the beginning of July (for the autumn semester).

The timetables for students at the Danish School of Education are announced at the beginning of November (for the spring semester).

Changes may be made to your timetable – even after the semester has begun. It is therefore important that you check your timetable regularly.

The teaching will be planned in relation to the number of students registered for each course. This is to make sure that we make the best possible use of our classrooms.

Division into classes

On a number of courses, the teaching or parts of the teaching take place in (smaller) classes.

If there are special reasons why you are unable to follow the class at the scheduled time, it is possible to request a change of class.

You should be aware that, in addition to a particular reason, it also requires that there is a vacancy in one of the other classes.

If there are more classes on the same semester of your degree programme, it may affect your class placement on the other courses if you change classes.

It is only possible to change classes on the same course; It is not possible to switch between different subjects or elective courses.

How to apply

You apply for a change of class by sending an email to the Study Centre Arts stating your reasons, name and student registration number. Then we will examine whether it is possible to move you to another class.

The deadline for applying for a change of class is the last Friday before the semester start.

Recording teaching

Rules for recording teaching

You are not allowed to record teaching at AU without permission. 

If you want to record teaching at AU, you must first obtain the consent of both the lecturer and your fellow students. 

Recording teaching without prior consent is against the university’s rules of conduct, and it violates the lecturer’s intellectual property rights.

Learn about the consequences of breaking the university’s rules of conduct here 

You are not allowed to share recordings of teaching uploaded by a lecturer to a course forum in Brightspace or on Panopto either. 

Exceptions - Dual Career and SPS

Dual Career – academic assistant scheme

If you have been assigned an academic assistant through either AU Elitesport or AU Entrepreneurs, your academic assistant can record or live stream classes for you. 

Classroom teaching or lecture? 

  • In order for your academic assistant to record classroom teaching, you need the consent of both the lecturer and your fellow students. 
  • In order for your academic assistant to record a lecture, you need the consent of the course coordinator.

If you receive special educational support (SPS)

If you have been given permission to record classes because you receive special educational support (SPS), you are allowed to record classes without prior consent. 

However, you do need to notify the lecturer at least a week before the recording takes place.

What to do if you have obtained consent to record a class

If you have obtained consent to record a class at AU, you must respect the following three rules: 

  1. Do not include your fellow students’ personal data in the footage. This includes video recordings of fellow students, personal data on a whiteboard or the equivalent. 
  2. Delete the record immediately after it has been used for the intended purpose and by the end of the semester at the latest. 
  3. Never share your recordings with others. Sharing recordings is against the university’s rules of conduct and violates intellectual property rights.

Timetable for other courses and class rooms

At Timetable.au.dk you can find timetables for specific courses and/or fields of study, that you're not registered for (yet)

You also have the option to search for specific class rooms and see the activities taking place there.

You will find the system here: MyTimeTable

You can find more information and guidance here.

Participating in teaching activities without registration

Access to courses at the Faculty of Arts is reserved for students who are registered for these courses and exams.

Other individuals who are not registered may, subject to agreement with the course teacher, attend a small number of classes or lectures. This agreement must be made before the class or lecture in question.

Language of teaching and exams

Where can I find information about the language of my courses and exams?

You can find information about the language of teaching in the course catalogue. The rules about the language of exams are stated in your academic regulations.  

Faculty policy regarding language of teaching and exams

The language of the exam is normally the same as the language of the teaching.

Subject to agreement with the teacher/examiner, the exams on some degree programmes are conducted in Danish even though the teaching has been in English (or in English when the teaching has been in Danish).   

This kind of special agreement is not possible in the following cases: 

  • Courses in which language proficiency is being tested – the language of the exam is always the language studied and perhaps Danish (for instance for translation courses). 
  • All the courses on degree programmes that are conducted in English. The teaching and exams on these courses are only conducted in English.  

If the teaching has been conducted in more than one language, the students can choose the language in which they want to take the exam. 

Exams that are normally conducted in Danish can also be taken in Swedish or Norwegian.  

FAQs about the language of teaching and exams

Am I always entitled to take exams in all the languages stated for a course in the academic regulations?

No. The languages stated in the academic regulations are the languages in which a course can be conducted. But the language in which the course is actually conducted may vary. And you are normally only allowed to take the exam in the language(s) in which the teaching has actually been conducted. So you need to check the course catalogue to find out which language applies in your particular case.

On some degree programmes it is possible to reach an agreement with your teacher about taking an exam in another language. If this is possible, it will be stated in the academic regulations above the degree programme diagram, where you can also see your options.

If a course is taught in several languages, can I choose the language of the exam myself?

Yes. If the course catalogue states that a course is taught in more than one language (Danish and English, for instance), you can choose between these languages for your exam. However, your choice may be limited by the topics/themes which are suitable for the exam, and will also depend on whether the teacher supervising and assessing assignments relating to these topics/themes can conduct exams in the language in question.

If the exam is conducted in Danish, does the teacher have to be able to speak Danish at oral exams – or is it sufficient that they can understand Danish and reply in English?

As long as the teacher understands Danish, thereby enabling you to speak Danish, the teacher may reply and ask questions in English.